Since I'm not immortal, nor am I the guy from the Twilight Zone episode, I did have to scale it down somewhat. My goal is to read one book from every major number in the Dewey Decimal System. There are 1000 subcategories, although a number are not in use.
Why? Um. Yeah. I don't really have a good reason. Some people play golf. I read. Some slightly better reasons:
- somebody already beat me to reading the encyclopedia.
- I read a lot of non-fiction anyway, so why not try to keep a list, and try to make sure I cover everything?
- I'm kinda curious what esoteric knowledge lingers in the dark corners of the library.
- because I'd like to draw some attention to just how much amazing knowledge is piled up in even your tiny local library. They have everything mankind has produced in its 6,000 years. With all that knowledge, we've accomplished some pretty amazing things. You wouldn't be on the internet wasting your time reading this blog if it wasn't for some dude in Persia discovering algebra.
- because I'm a big know it all, and if I finish this I can move up to a huge one.