Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Suggestions

It's occurred to me that there are a number of dark corners of the library that I know nothing about. Take 866 -- Spanish letters. I have no idea what kinds of books I'm going to find there. Famous letters, maybe? Are they all in Spanish, or can I find an English translation?

Or 960 -- History of Africa. Africa is a big place, and that is a huge topic. Sure, I can just grab the first likely looking book off the shelf in that section, but I'd rather read a really good book on the topic. Besides, I know myself. As this contest goes on, I'm probably going to be grabbing books based on thickness.

To avoid having to read too many random grabs, I'm asking for suggestions. If you know of a good non-fiction book, particularly an esoteric and interesting book in an odd category, let me know! It'd be nice if you could include the call number and the other info, but don't worry about it if you don't know it.

Suggestions can be posted as comments to this post, or you can use the Suggestions form located in the links section.

2 comments:

DearReader said...

You ought to be able to find a translation in the 866s, or at least commentary on Spanish letters.
What will you do with the Dewey numbers that are not in use? There are several - the 040s, aren't currently in use, for example.

The Reader said...

If I run across a category that has no readable entries, either because it's unused or due to its content, I'll just skip it.